New year, cleaner loft? ummm. No! But I did take time to brighten it up a couple days ago.
First, my pin cushion. Much loved, much used. I cannot tell you how nice it is to have a 'roll' that fits right in front of my machine. And is long enough for me to segregate my pins by type.
I made my first one back in 2011, and it was looking pretty drab after 6 years. So, a new one. I took the oldie apart, both to re-use the sand bag that was inside and to retrieve any lost sewing needles. The latter was gratifying - I rescued 12 needles, most of them self-threading needles that I use all the time to sink thread tails.
The pin cushion is easy to make. It's basically a rectangular bag, finished at about 7" x 3", with a opening on the side for inserting the innards. Inside, on the bottom, I have a fabric bag of super-fine sand that I found at PetsMart (bird department). The bag is sewn from a high-thread count fabric and hasn't leaked at all. On top of the bag, poly batting and fiberfill, stuffed in until I just couldn't stuff any more. And the opening is just hand-sewn to close.
Those sewing needles. Usually they're on a magnetic card that's stuck on the metal base of my lamp. This works great, because they're right at hand and not populating my pin cushion. I still see this Singer notion at JoAnns, it comes with a few needles and is very inexpensive.
Next up, a notions tray for the little things I use constantly at the machine. Seam ripper, measuring tape, long tweezers, Frixion pen, hem gauge, 7" ruler, spool caps...lots of stuff :-) I've been using a pasta bowl from my dinnerware, which bugged me no end. Making a quilted fabric replacement was easy peasy, I should have done this sooner.
The materials are simple: A top, bottom, and batting layer, all cut at 10" x 12", then sewn as a bag, turned right side out, and quilted.
I'm glad I took the time to spruce up the loft, but it was just exhausting. LOL - actually I'd rather be sewing.
Bye for now! Coco