Sunday, March 6, 2016

Wiksten tank top - in knits


Hi! And where have the last 4 weeks gone...I think this is the longest I've gone with writing about something. Honestly, I was a little off-put by having so many wadders in January, and time slipped by with little sewing.

But I generally spring back. I've been busy.

First, I assessed my wardrobe and now have a lot fewer things in the closet. After 4 years of sewing and blogging nonstop, I had way too many things in there. I was also tired of them! And having so many clothes was bugging me - I had a nagging feeling of guilt because most them were never worn after I blogged them.

Easy to correct - donation time. They'll be going to a women's closet organization in Ft. Myers that helps women in distress or in need of appropriate clothing for interviews, court appearances, etc.



Second, I turned to a TNT top that I just love, the Wiksten woven tank top. I had four pieces of cotton/rayon jersey from Girl Charlee's big Black Friday sale - about 2 yards of each, purchased for under $2.50/yard. It was time to revamp my Wiksten pattern for use with knits.

Last year I redrafted my Wiksten pattern to be a little longer (added 2") and a bit 'swingier' (moved the bottom side seams out 1").  This time around I just added the sleeve from a knit dress, Vogue 1315, cut to elbow length.




Worked great! This top is incredibly comfortable, and it's tunic length, which makes it perfect for jeans and leggings. Even better - I slept in the first one I made, and it was wrinkle-free in the morning. Wow. Nice fabric.




Other sewing notes:

  • As with every single garment I sew, I finished the shoulders with a flat-fell seam. This prevents any irritation from the seam and stabilizes it without bias tape or elastane.

  • This top could be sewn with a serger alone, but I always worry that a serged seam will stretch open a little bit with wear, exposing the stitches. So I sew my knit seams with a lightening stitch, and then serge/cut the seam allowances together.
  • And I cut my neckline banding across the width (across the stretch) of the fabric, rather than on the bias. I keep a basket of knit and woven scraps, pre-cut into binding widths. They come in so handy - I had a suitable color for each of these stripes.
I will say that the fabric has funky selvedges. But I cut them off before laying out the pattern, and the stripe matching was really easy.


Hope everyone is enjoying a nice weekend! Bye for now, Coco

8 comments:

  1. Love your tops and fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such lovely tops - they look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just starting on my knit journey - I can see I've a bit of catching up to do....
    Really like your 'new' pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've eyed that Wiksten tank for years along with the Grainline Studio one. I have neither but I really should splurge on one of them at least. Love the knit ones Coco, such pretty colors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun and useful tops now you've cleared out your closet. Wiksten is a new pattern name for me so, checked it out. Wonder if you washed the fabric before construction. The top I made in late January of rayon/spandex knit jersey seemed to shrink some when I laundered it. So will go back to my old habit of washing fabrics first. Looking forward to your next project. Always a joy to get the notice you have posted something. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola! I was seriously considering purchasing the Wiksten tank pattern, but I wanted to double check patternreview.com for reviews on the pattern, and that is how I found your blog! And I am so excited that I did. I've read a bit of one of your other posts on the pattern in a woven fabric. I think I will go purchase the Wiksten Tank pattern now. I've been wanting to make a rayon challis tank for a few years now. I've also had my eye on a Grain​line Stud​io pattern - the 1100​2 Scou​t Wove​n Tee. Maybe I'll buy a few today ;) Ciao!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such pretty tops Coco! I am also happy to see someone else who does a flat fell seam at the shoulders. It works perfectly in most knits and I like the look of it. I agree with you about sewing and blogging...sometimes it is good to slow down and take a break.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love these! I need some knit tops and was looking through my patterns to see if I could make do with what I have. Hello Wiksten! Thank you for sharing. Off to make my own pattern a little swingier and sew up a couple.

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco