Monday, May 21, 2012

Simplicity 1852 Low Rise Shorts

Wiksten Tank Top, ACMoore snakeskin print, 100% cotton
Shorts, JoAnns linen-blend
Sandals, Lindsay Phillips

I know I said in my post about pull-on pants that shorts do not suit me...but things change! I have decided that shorts suit me very well and am happily making lots of them. This pattern, Simplicity 1852, is a great find.

The shorts/pants are described as sitting 1" below the natural waistline - but I am short in the rise. You can see these shorts sit a bit higher on me, as I hoped they would - in fact, they are very comfortably at my waist. It is so nice to have a pattern that fits in the rise. (I have another TNT as well, but it is plain vanilla).

This pattern has a cute piecing and pocket treatment. Each side comprises three pieces, with a styled patch pocket set into the front seam and extending across the side seam onto the back.  Here is another view, front and back:


I love the elastic waistband casing on this pattern - it is set on as a separate piece, instead of being an integrated fold-over casing. The result is a very clean and lightweight finish that gathers very nicely around the elastic. Much much better than any fold-over treatment I've experienced. So nice that I will never again use any other approach to a pull-on pants elastic casing! (Last week I went back and redid the waist on a pretty linen pull-on pant that I took to Orlando for Mom's Day visit with family.)



I sewed a M (12-14) and they are so comfy. And....take only a little over a yard to make because of the piecing. If you modify the pocket just a bit (cut the pocket facing separately), a yard will do it for many sizes! What a great summer stash buster!

The drawstring is actually faux - it is inserted into two buttonholes set an inch or so apart on the front waistband. Did I bother? Noooo. For myself, I find pants drawstrings distracting, bothersome, and limiting...did I say I don't like them?


Wiksten Tank Top, FFC white on white dots, 100% cotton
Shorts, ACMoore leaf print, 100% cotton
Sandals, Jack Rogers

I think this is a really nice rear view! no bag, no sag, pinch, or pleat. Definitely will be making the longer pants version.



Then there's the yellow and white print from ACMoore, the one I used to make my first Wiksten tank top...Oh, what cute shorts they made! Dance time!




Ciao! Coco

7 comments:

  1. I have added this pattern to my wish list (may i blame you?). I think they are the perfect length.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! blame me, yes! but at a yard or so, why not?Sewist's logic :-)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great shorts - that's the length I like too (although, it's quite rare that I wear shorts, even though I live in what most people would class as the tropics)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's warm and humid here as well, as you can see from pics...I probably won't go 'out' in my shorts, but they really are nice around the house and neighborhood. Love your blog!

      Delete
  4. Great shorts and a really nice wardrobe staple for Florida summers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found your blog - love it! Thank you for the compliment, Myra. I love Florida, and yes, shorts really help! It's the humidity that gets to me, not the heat - no jeans in the summertime!

      Delete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco