Sunday, February 8, 2015

Koos van den Akker

Even though Koos van den Akker has battled cancer for a long while, he seemed too vibrant and in the moment to leave us. But he passed away on February 4, 2015, in NYC.

I've been so influenced by this unique designer. By his obvious love of fabric, color, and form, and his ability to translate that to incredible and breathtaking garments. Koos' imagination has always stirred mine - his work seems to radiate a free and unbounded spirit and creativity that is liberating. I've never thought I could create or sew as he did, but he opened my mind and eye to so many possibilities.

His story is fascinating, and a quick Google will bring up tributes from fashion sites, designers, and periodicals worldwide. I've also added a Pinterest board with many of his fashions, as well as his Vogue patterns.

Koos of course.

Coco

Harper's Bazaar



2014 American Folk Art Museum Exhibition: Folk Couture: Fashion and Folk Art

Vogue 1106

9 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tribute! So thankful that I was able to enjoy his talent. Will treasure my books and patterns by Koos! May he rest in peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had not learned that he had passed away. Thanks for posting. I've always loved seeing his unique creations. I will miss that there will be no more coming from this talented man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this. What a colorful and creative legacy he has left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Coco, thank you for posting this. I didn't know either. I have several of his patterns...haven't made any yet. It's fun just to look at them and thing about what fabric/colors to use. One of these days I will make one...probably the jacket. He was and still will be an inspiration to us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My ASG group had decided to focus our attention on Koos and some of his techniques this year. I am scheduled to present a biographical sketch in March. Our group plans to demonstrate some of his techniques on some of our garments. I own a number of his patterns and have planned to make up some of them and use his techniques for others. I will miss him, his creativity and zest for life.
    Kathy C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had not heard, thank you for posting. I can definitely picture you in that middle Vogue 1106. He passed on my birthday (my 29th ;)) - you too have a birthday this month, Coco? A fellow Aquarian, yes?!

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco