Sunday, July 6, 2014

Butterick 5881 - A dress can change its spots too!


Pretty spots! I finally got around to something I've wanted to do for a while - making a dress using the underdress from Katherine Tilton's layered dress!

My 2013 original version


This is the inside of the underdress from my 2013 version. It's really pretty all by itself - it has a charming flared skirt and an interesting asymmetrical hemline.




I just added elbow-length sleeves (from another Butterick pattern) and voila!


The only real challenge was trying to keep the larger spots on the top sections of the dress, and the more dense spots on the bottom sections. I just thought the placement would accent the lines of the skirt more effectively that way.



Just a note: My Emile is filling in for me for a bit. I've not been feeling well for about 7 weeks.
Edited on 7/9 - a new diagnosis rules out vertebrobasilar circulatory disorder, such good news!
I just finished the muslin for Ashley's 'Kaylee Frye' costume - yes, the girl is cosplaying again! This one is for Dragon Con in Atlanta at the end of August.

Kaylee




Back story: Kaylee is a mechanic on the spaceship Serenity, in the TV series Firefly and movie Serenity. In a fan-favorite outfit, she wears a brocade jacket over her mechanic overalls and carries a multi-stripe parasol (which Ashley already has, of course :-)

I'm making Ashley's jacket using Kwik Sew 4015 and a beautiful polyester Chinese brocade that she ordered from FabricDirect.com. Finding the fabric was not easy. We decided a lot of people are making blue brocade jackets this summer!











Muslin in kona cotton

She and D. really enjoy their interest in pop culture and participate actively. Here's a pic of Ashley as a Sith Girl (a cheerleader for an antagonist figure in Star Wars) at Dragon Con last year. There was an entire squad of Sith Girls, they marched in the Dragon Con parade!


And on that note - ciao! Coco

8 comments:

  1. Those are lovely spots. Love the shape of the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Tilton underdress made a fabulous dress! Well done! Wow, the name of that illness sounds so scary! Sorry to hear that you have been feeling bad. Hope the the tide changes and you feel better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lovely dress - I must look up this pattern. I hope you get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That animal print with different sized spots makes a VERY cute dress...I love it!!!
    Hugs and prayers that you'll be back to yourself very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love that underdress and it's unique hemline. Great job on the spotted version! Praying you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Hello Kitty!
    Will Kaylee wear the coveralls with her jacket? Great character for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Yes, the entire outfit! I'm making her the purple print tee as well. What fun!

      Delete
  7. Fun sewing-what a switch from "plain" garments to cosplay! I really like the Butterick dress and can see one in my future. I hope you feel better, Mary

    ReplyDelete

I love it that you came by...and thank you for your comments! Coco